After the spectacular introduction of the famous Tata Nano, many people began to wonder what is going to happen when people in developing countries are going to afford purchasing automobiles. The Tata Nano is not the first attempt to manufacture an affordable car. Going back a few decades, we have the funny Fiat 500 in Italy, VW Beetle in Germany, the Citroen 2CV and the Renault 4CV in France, and of course, the Ford Model T in the United States. With this article we will present the current 10 most affordable cars in the world.
10. Dacia Logan - $9,477 price tag. It is manufactured in Romania, Brazil, Turkey, India and Iran. It was designed by Renault with the main purpose of being low-cost. It shares plenty of features with the Renault Clio and the Nissan Micra.
9. Fiat Palio - $9,242 price tag. It was originally manufactured in Brazil and after that built in other Latin American countries as well as India, Morocco, Poland, Russia and China. This car is one of the first models designed with emerging technologies in mind.
8. Hyundai i10 - $9,096 price tag. The i10 model is the new generation of the Atos. It is produced in South Korea.
7. Tata Indica - $8,500 price tag. It is one of the ugliest cars in the European market, where it still lives because you cannot get something cheaper than this. The car is also sold with great success in South Africa.
6. Chery A-1 - $7,340 price tag. It looks like a solid subcompact and rumors say that it will be sold under the Dodge brand in Mexico. Chery's partnership with Austrian company AVL that will be bringing the technology to make this car meet the Euro IV standards, something the environment should appreciate.
5. Geely HQ SRC - $5,780 price tag. This car is based on the 1980's Daihatsu Charade, which was at its time, a very good car.
4. Geely MR - $5,500 price tag. It is quite similar with the HQ SRC, the only difference would be that it is equipped with "sportier" powertrains, but basically it is the same car.
3. Suzuki Maurti 800 - $4,994 price tag. A mini car for those that cannot afford a full-sized automobile.
2. Cheery QQ - $4,781 price tag. It is almost double the price of the number one in our list, but it still holds strongly to the second position. Manufactured in China, it sparked some trademark problems because it resembles a lot with the Chevrolet/Daewoo Matiz.
1. Tata Nano - $2,497 price tag. This car is well thought out, and many patents have resulted from the creation process, starting with the Nano's powertrain to the assembly process itself. Many people are against this car because lots of people will afford it and many cars result in pollution.
There you have, the 10 most affordable cars in the world, with the Tata Nano holding comfortably the first place of the top. We shall see how popular and successful the Nano will get and if other manufacturers will try to produce an even more affordable car.